"Be the Best Me That I Can Be"
“DISCovering your best self”
My message includes Resiliency, Kindness, Curiosity, and Unplugging. My assembly includes videos, photos, stories, and a frisbee demo. At the end of every assembly, I challenge students take the Unplugg’d Challenge. During the frisbee demo, I show them a trick shot that is hard, and I usually fail multiple times before finally making the shot.
I believe that character education through various forms of literacy is a great way to connect and impact. My core virtues are:
- Kindness & Empathy – Bucket Filling and Focusing on What We Want
- Acceptance – Learning that Different is a Good Thing
- Determination/Perseverance – Growth Mindset
- Self-Awareness & Self-Discipline – Unplugg’d Challenge
- Resiliency – Learning from Failure
Forms of Literacy
- Physical – Frisbee Workshops
- Digital – Unplugg’d Challenge
- Emotional – Resiliency Assembly
- Textual – The Davy Rule children’s book
Sample Schedule for a Full-day Booking:
- 8:45-9:30: Full School Assembly
- 9:30-10:00: Frisbee Workshop 1
- 10:00-10:30: Frisbee Workshop 2
- 10:30-11:00: Frisbee Workshop 3
- 11:00-11:30: Frisbee Workshop 4
- 11:30-12:00: Frisbee Workshop 5
- 12:00-12:45: Lunch
- 12:45-1:15: Frisbee Workshop 6
- 1:15-1:45: Frisbee Workshop 7
- 1:45-2:15: Frisbee Workshop 8
- 2:15-2:45: Frisbee Workshop 9
- 2:45-3:15: Frisbee Workshop 10
I prefer a minimum of 30 minutes per workshop with 25-35 students although I am flexible. My goal is to have every student attend the assembly and participate in one frisbee workshop.
I was bullied as a kid because I used to figure skate, and when I started playing frisbee, I was teased a lot because people didn’t understand what I did.
I was a facilitator with Dare to Care, a program which taught me a lot about messaging and impact on kids. Additionally, Tina Long has been helpful in my messaging and delivery. Her son Tyler committed suicide from being bullied so bad, and was one of the children featured in the movie Bully. She runs the non-profit Everything Starts With 1.
Since I started speaking in schools in 2013, I have been to more than 300 schools and connected with more than 100,000 students. I have met thousands of principals, gym teachers, EA’s, and classroom teachers. I have been in schools that are the best in their district and schools who are near the bottom in their district. I have been in schools that are low income/high needs and schools that are extremely well funded.
As such, I have a broad range of experience and I know what works and what doesn’t work. My approach is simple. Focus on the desired behaviour and minimize the time spent on the undesirable behaviour.
As such, my presentation, frisbee workshops, and any additional time spent with students and staff will focus on virtues like Kindness, Acceptance, Determination, Empathy, Patience, Sharing, Friendship, Effort, Self-Discipline, Self-Awareness, and Perseverance. I will not spend much time talking about Bullying, although I do explain the difference between peer conflict & bullying and I also share my story of what I went through as a kid, as a way to teach the students how to deal with Adversity.
My goal is to reinforce messages and ideas that are already being taught, by putting my own spin on it, helping both students and staff get back to what is important by realizing that it’s easy to get caught up in technology and by adding a disruption with my Unplugg’d Challenge.