"Find your thing...and go do that."
“DISCover your best self”
My core messages include Physical Literacy, Resiliency, Kindness, and Unplugging. My assembly combines the four core messages with frisbee demos and games. At the end of every assembly, I challenge students to take the Unplugg’d Challenge. During the frisbee demo, I show them a trick shot that is hard, and I usually fail multiple times before finally making the shot.
The core messages that I will share with your students and staff:
- Kindness: Focus on pro-Kindness rather than anti-Bullying.
- Physical Literacy: The importance of trying/doing multiple sports/activities.
- Acceptance: We’re not weird, we’re just different; and different is good.
- Growth Mindset: Building skills through practice and trying new things.
- Self-Discipline: Setting screen time limits through the Unplugg’d Challenge.
- Perseverance: Learning from failure and not giving up.
Forms of Literacy
Character education through four types of literacy:
Physical: Frisbee Workshops
- Digital: Unplugg’d Challenge
- Emotional: Core Messages
- Textual: The Davy Rule children’s book
Since I started speaking in schools in 2013, I have been to more than 350 schools, spoken to more than 120,000 students, and have run more than 4,500 frisbee workshops. I have met thousands of principals, gym teachers, EA’s, and classroom teachers. I have been in schools that are the best in their district and schools that are near the bottom. I have been in schools that are low income/high needs and schools that are extremely well funded.
As such, I have a broad range of experience and I know what works and what doesn’t work. My approach is simple. Focus on the desired behaviour and minimize the time spent on the undesirable behaviour. My presentation, frisbee workshops, and any additional time spent with students and staff will focus on virtues like Kindness, Resiliency, Acceptance, Determination, Empathy, Patience, Sharing, Friendship, Effort, Self-Discipline, Self-Awareness, and Perseverance.
My goal is to reinforce messages and ideas that are already being taught, by putting my own spin on it, helping both students and staff get back to what is important by realizing that it’s easy to get caught up in technology and by adding a disruption with my Unplugg’d Challenge.
Sample Schedule for a Full-day Booking:
- 8:45-9:30: Full School Assembly
- 9:30-10:00: Frisbee Workshop 1
- 10:00-10:30: Frisbee Workshop 2
- 10:30-11:00: Frisbee Workshop 3
- 11:00-11:30: Frisbee Workshop 4
- 11:30-12:00: Frisbee Workshop 5
- 12:00-12:45: Lunch
- 12:45-1:15: Frisbee Workshop 6
- 1:15-1:45: Frisbee Workshop 7
- 1:45-2:15: Frisbee Workshop 8
- 2:15-2:45: Frisbee Workshop 9
- 2:45-3:15: Frisbee Workshop 10
*minimum of 30 minutes per workshop with 30-40 students. Goal is to have every student attend the assembly and participate the workshops.